What is Pupil Premium?
The pupil premium is an allocation of funding provided to schools to:
- raise the attainment of disadvantaged pupils of all abilities to reach their potential
- support children with parents in the regular armed forces
- support children in care defined in the Children Act 1989 as one who is in the care of, or provided with accommodation by, an English local authority
Pupil Premium at Herne Bay Infant School
Here at Herne Bay Infant School we use our pupil premium funding to diminish the difference in achievement of pupils eligible for pupil premium and other pupils. We ensure that the teaching and learning opportunities meet the needs of all pupils, and that appropriate provision is made for all pupils who belong to vulnerable groups. This includes ensuring that the needs of pupils who receive pupil premium funding are adequately assessed and addressed.
We recognise that not all pupil premium children are disadvantaged and that some disadvantaged pupils may not be eligible for pupil premium.
We have identified the following as main barriers to learning for our PP pupils.
- 50% of children entering Reception below the expected level in most areas of the curriculum
- lack of exposure to high quality language, both spoken and written
- poor emotional wellbeing and resilience
- low attendance and lateness
- parental expectations, school engagement and commitment to engaging with their child’s education
When making decisions on how to allocate our pupil premium funding grant effectively we have drawn on research from a range sources, most prominently the Education Endowment Foundation’s Teaching and Learning Toolkit. We have also assessed the impact of interventions from last year and thought carefully about the specific and individual needs of the children.
Could your Child be eligible for Pupil Premium? Please go online and sign up for FSM funding at: www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/schools/free-school-meals
Contact: Bernadette Lax Headteacher or Sarah Luton Assistant Headteacher and Pupil Premium Champion for more information through firstname.lastname@example.org