We believe that art, craft and design are important forms of human creativity. At Herne Bay Infant School and Seashells Nursery, art and design engages, inspires and challenges children, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
We are immensely proud of the children’s artwork produced in school and nursery and it is displayed at different times of the year to showcase the children’s creativity.
Each year, art is celebrated in different forms. Our ‘Christmas Hoops’ showcase the techniques and skills learnt in a whole school approach. These are displayed in the school hall for all to admire and enjoy. We regularly take part in local art exhibitions too, where other members of our community can appreciate our art, craft and design learning.
Art lessons are taught in a cross-curricular way throughout year group connectors to provide a memorable and exciting approach to developing artistic skills. We aim to ensure that all children:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become skilled in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about a variety of great artists, sculptures, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Key Stage 1 Curriculum:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines and making links to their own work.